Friday, April 22, 2011

My Job Skills Need Improving

So I've been in a reflective mood lately, thus I thought I would write... ;)

I'm in this situation where I have certain skills (theoretically) in accounting, but am being pulled in many different directions by my interests, well actually only a few main interests. I say that my skills in accounting are theoretical, because although I got good grades at school, I haven't used the main theories that I learned about accounting on an ongoing basis so I don't want to jump into an accounting job where they would want me to rely on those skills right away.

I've got a couple of different resources to help me more fully develop my skills, such as a generous scholarship to do MS Office certification from "Turning Point" up at UVU, and a resource to training videos on many subjects like communication, business writing, negotiation essentials, basic presentation skills, managerial skills, and accounting courses to review and I'm very grateful to have these resources but the fact is that it is going to take some time to get through all of these training cells and I need money.

So I also have the opportunity to do the "Work Success" program through the state, which is a resume writing, interviewing, job search program that will be very good at getting me into a job...

But I feel like I would like to have completed all of these training programs before moving on to a job, because I want to be better prepared... I actually did have access to some of these tools before the last job that I had and I kept wishing that I had gone through the training videos before the job, I really needed those skills.

But then again I wish that I didn't have to be a fully trained employee before joining a company, what happened to some of the on the job training that used to be available to new hires?

Then I am being pulled into the direction of my interests. Don't get me wrong, I'm a competent number cruncher, (though I do find that I need more practice to see trends that are wrong and to know what to look for to find missing data), I can however pull numbers together, see the big picture for a companies processes and create methods for completing those processes. All good skills... but not necessarily what I want to be doing with my life.

I have interests in a couple of different main areas, writing, nutrition and health. I've looked at different options for all of these, yet I can't figure out a good path to go down.

I've registered for a couple of classes at UVU, to do the prerequisites for a Masters Program at Utah State. We will see what happens.

SG

No comments: