Sunday, November 25, 2018

I Miss my Bloggy Friends

2008 was a pivotal year for me. I had been a stay at home mom with my daughter Roxie for 2 years and I had loved being able to be with her. Yet pressures had been building up in my marriage for a long time and I felt trapped. I had no recourse for companionship (other than the limited friendships that I had at church) so I started a blog in September of that year trying to find other like minded people to discuss things with. Through that process I found many new friends and we formed a community by visiting each others blogs and commenting on their posts.

Blogging was an important step for me, I had been living in a narrow world and now I had an international audience to share my thoughts with. I had CathM an English major in England, Michelle an office worker in Australia, Renee a cancer patient in the US, John a wander, a poet a lovely lost soul who always managed to help me find my humanity. There was Rick, a trucker poet in the US and STAR a thoughtful poet in the UK. Christine a wonderful poet, and selfless friend. There was Ajey who later became an important part of my life and Graham and Mike, those two were hilarious posters on each others blogs and as random pop posters on mine and other peoples blogs.

It is astounding how much can change from year to year. I was living at the time in a duplex and life felt hopeless some times. We didn't have enough money to pay for things, let alone save any money up for a home of our own. There were things broken that I didn't have the power to fix (though I fixed many things and replaced the blinds) but for the most part I tried to take a philosophical approach to my situation, finding solace in the nearby river trail and park that we could walk to.

I would take pictures along the way and find a sense of fulfillment in making artwork out of daydreams. We had group picture challenges every Friday and I would post my finds.

I tried to learn how to make all of our food from scratch, I loved the challenge of making homemade tamales, spaghetti, lasagna, bread, cinnamon rolls... everything I could. Then I loved sharing the recipes with the blogging world.

What I'm saying is that I woke up this morning feeling a sense of loss for what I had in the blogging community. I've found myself in much busier circumstances and it's not often that I take the time to get out and create but I'm trying to change that.

To old friends, I miss you. To other bloggers, I look forward to discovering your blogs.

SG








No comments: