Tuesday, December 22, 2009

The Hiding Place

When I was a freshman in high school I read this book "The Hiding Place" The triumphant true story of Corrie Ten Boom and then I copied the diagram of the Beje out of the book for a book report on it.

There are times when I think, I've got it hard, why me? But then I think of this woman, and her family who were the courageous rescuers of many Jews and others who were targeted by the Nazi's during WWII.

What sticks out to me, is the strong faith and Christian kindness of the Ten Boom family. I love both of the sisters, Corrie and Betsey, I love how they support and care for each other.

They were such honest and simple people who continually lived their religion. Even in the midst of the concentration camp that they were sent to after being captured by the Gestapo, they were able to help and inspire others.

These women lost everything, Corrie eventually lost her family and her beloved Betsie, yet she was a beacon of love and hope for many years after her rescue from the camp.

I always seem to gravitate to these types of stories, these types of people when I am going through a hard time myself.

At times I need courage, and I find it through others words, others faith, others strength. I am so grateful for what I have, even when times are tough.

9 comments:

Opaque said...

That is a nice base for inspiration. Anyone can survive without religion and money, but none can survive without human affection or merely the yearning for the same.

Strawberry Girl said...

The basis, the raison de etre was love, they believed that all human beings deserved love and showed such towards all, even those who misused them. Part of the inspiration for me is that they continued to love, even when in the deepest distress.

Adullamite said...

I read Corrie Ten Boom's 'Tramp for the Lord' some years ago, a very good, easy to read, book. She became a sort of hero for me as she remained a grumbling old woman through whom Jesus did wonders! It was not just 'love' that pulled her through, that is not going to get you out of Ravensbruck, it was Jesus himself! He will take you through all things, or so I find it!

jdsanc said...

I think of those families many times, what it cost them, how dearly they paid, and what that means to the rest of us. How we need to hold ourselves responsible for the people of the world, to make sure, Never Again.

Julene said...

Hang in there Annie! You really are handling this better than you may think. I admire you for your courage and fortitude. Keep it up, you are doing the right thing! Something that may help, though you may have already done so, is to get a blessing of comfort from your father. I know when things get me down it helps. Love ya, hope you guys have a merry little christmas despite your troubles! :)

Corrie Howe said...

I read about Corrie Ten Boom as a middle schooler. I even got to see her in person as she came to speak at an Air Force Base in Hawaii after they played the movie "The Hiding Place." She is an inspiration to me too.

Strawberry Girl said...

Graham, you would identify with a "grumbly" old woman wouldn't you? ;)

JD, that is true... there is so much to learn from history and to identify with the intense tragedy that these people went through can help us to alleviate our own fears and misery.

Thanks Julene, I love you, Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Corrie, that is terrific! What an opportunity! I hope your Christmas was bright and that you have a Happy New Year!

Adullamite said...

Graham, you would identify with a "grumbly" old woman wouldn't you? ;)



?????? who me?????

findingmywingsinlife said...

Strawberry Girl,
I am not familiar this book you speak of, however, I believe you have a strength all your own. I believe you to be a gentle soul, wonderfully filled with compassion and honor within you.
You are drawn then to these types of stories because you are the story- the embodiment of true character who perseveres and overcomes obstacles without losing sight of your faith in love, in yourself, and indeed in the beauty of the world around you.
It is wonderful to know you :)and Keep your chin up!

Your friend,
April