Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Economic Worries

Wow,



America is making the world mad, especially the middle east. More millitary action in Pakistan!! Of course I can see how we need to get rid of the threat of extreamist Al-Quaida and other militant groups, but this is not the way, is it?



What is disturbing is the amount of political and military involvement which our government continues to use in other countries. We elect people to go and help solve "Our" problems, not create more for us.

In my economics class I learned that since WWII the government has been using military spending as a regulatory force upon the economy. The theory is that this increase in spending will create new jobs. This theory has always sat uneasily with me. Sure more military spending, more jobs, who doesn't want more jobs? But why does it have to be military spending?

What is better for our economy is for people to responsibly work hard and be creative with their lives. Then for them to save and responsibly buy what they need.

President Bush encouraged Americans to be patriotic and to go out and "spend" after 9-11, what a bunch of malarkey.

Don't get me started on all of the companies that they "bailed" out. This has the effect of lowering interest rates (already being lowered by the fed) and encouraging more people to buy houses. Guess what? That's how we got into this mess in the first place, by people being unwilling to save and wait until they were responsible enough to own a home. That's how the price of houses increased so quickly over the past 10 or so years, that's why people have to work 15 jobs to pay their mortgages, that's partly why mommies are not home with their kids, why crime is on the rise, why the cost of everything is going up. Plus the bailouts and fiat money create more inflation and therefore a tax on every single person in America.



I am looking for ways to avoid being beholden to the government and to be responsible with my life. I am trying to reduce my carbon footprint by buying as much as possible used, buying local, buying organic, buying Certified Free Trade, plus I have a garden, sure this year it wasn't as good as it could be, I am a novice and don't know much about it, next years garden will be better. I am trying to learn about it as I go.

Plus the next time an opportunity arrises to get involved with the government I am going to find a way to contribute. If that means becoming a delegate, I will try to become one. If I had my choice right now for President it would be Ron Paul. I don't agree with everything that he say's but I agree with more of what he says than anyone else (give me a break McCain or Obama, woopie).

That's my rant for now.

~Annie

No comments: