Sunday, September 14, 2008

What I miss about being 10

When I was 10, the world was full of possibilities. My favorite music was definantly Jazz and rock (I really thought country sucked, and I think it did at that time). My favorite groups/singers were Karen Carpenter, The Manhatten Transfer, and Buddy Holly.

It was so good to be alive, I loved to pretend. My mom had a habit of putting all of the chairs into the living room so that she could clean the kitchen floor. So my brothers and I would hop around on the chairs and pretend that we were avoiding the hot lava. We usually watched the New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh.

I was such a romantic little girl. I had a four poster bed with a canopy on top. I would find luxurious sheets and hang them around the top and pretend that I was a princess, I felt so rich. When my cousin Pam would sleep over we would dress up in our silkiest pj's and pretend to be rich princesses.

Another of the fun things that I liked to do was go out back to the little copse of trees behind our house which was in the middle of a field. I loved to walk among them, dream and listen to the wind. I used to be very sympathetic to wildlife and to the trees and plants.

I am different now, I have not been as romantic. I don't feel the same way as I used to towards animals or wildlife or plants. But I remember how I used to feel. I think that when my favorite pet died, a black cat, part of me lost touch with animals and such. Plus I haven't been able to find a substitute for my kitty, my parents cats are brats.

Well anyway, I am going to go make an experimental gluten free pumpkin pie with coconut milk instead of evaporated milk and less sugar. Wish me luck!!

~Strawberry Girl

No comments: