Monday, July 25, 2016

My American Dream

My American dream is to have a beautiful little home, where I can be the Mom and you can be the Dad. We have kids and they are happy, we tell them what to do and they might complain but they listen because I am the Mom and you are the Dad and we know what we are talking about because we are the parents.

We go to work, do our job then come home to our loving little family in our beautiful little home. We have our hobbies, we take vacations, and everyone has a good time. We have babies together, there is so much love.

There's no room for uncertainty here. It's all laid out like a nice pattern. There's this wholesomeness, idealness about this vision and it doesn't seem unreasonable. I wanted my family to be like this when I was growing up. I wanted everything to be clean and tidy and everyone to fill their respective roles, help Mom out with the cleaning, help Dad out with the yard work. Keep things tidy. That's the American dream, a nice tidy well run family. That is what I have been trying to create for so, so long.

It's not working. Dad goes to work, putters about the garden or sits at the computer or TV and gets all worked up about politics. Mom does her job, she does all of her jobs, but she looks exhausted. She's got too much on her plate. I've not done my part to alleviate her burdens, I went back to school and let my kids spend endless hours at Grandmas playing video games. It's all a mess, our family home, our relationships. I tell my kids, clean your room, help me out, and it's not an easy thing to get them to do it.

Everything is not neat and tidy. It's messy. Life is messy. Everything is not certain.

It's just this little picturesque dream in my mind. This pesky dream. I see other families, I know they aren't perfect, but tell that to my little envious heart.

I know it's silly but I want more of my American dream and a lot less of the uncertainty.

SG

No comments: