Tuesday, March 17, 2009

New direction with homeschooling...

I am a planner, I like to write things down and PLAN to do them... but I am not so good on the follow through. I wasn't raised that way, it's really irritating to me. Especially since I am usually late, well actually I have gotten better on that one. In the case of Homeschooling, I tried it over the summer. I had a CD with all of the basics that you should cover on it, I printed off things and had the kids do them, but more often than not I bored them to death and they hated it. I am trying to just have a library day every week where everyone gets certain types of books and also a simple requirement to work on math facts, spelling and handwriting. Just 5-10 min. on each thing, but that has not worked out yet... I think I need to be more persistent with it because my kids are really behind in spelling and their handwriting is terrible.... Since my two oldest don't want to be homeschooled, what more can I do? In the case of Sione, I read with him 100 Easy Word Lessons and we are reading the Jungle Book. Plus I am doing Singapore math workbooks with him. But on other stuff I am kind of stuck. I don't know what it is, am I afraid to try? To be lame? To compete? I think that is one of the general weaknesses of my life, that I don't want to compete... Is it that I don't think that I can be anyone of value or worth? Sometimes that is what happens to me when I am looking at other women and thinking, they are so beautiful... I devalue myself. It's a hard habit to break, sometimes when I am thinking straight I just feel good about myself and accept that everyone looks different, and that I like myself the way that I am... But sometimes I get in these moods where I look at others and I don't feel so good about ME.

So I am going to give myself a break, do the regular stuff with Sione and then go into their room with their shelf of books and just read to him and Roxie and then do stuff with them when the mood hits (like gardening).

Anyway, I need to go out and get some sun... been stuck in the house too much. :0)

1 comment:

Christine said...

I really know how you feel. Homeschooling is hard. Not that I've actually done it yet. I so desire it though. The little stuff I do try at home never seems to work out as I would like it to. I have no great advice for you. I just wanted you to know that you're not the only one out there that feels like its hard. Good luck and keep trying your best.