Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Very Busy Day...

Today has been so full, with time to think and drive myself crazy with observations...

First of all we went up to Salt Lake to see my brother in law get sworn in as a citizen... that is always an amazing and eventful experience. I haven't seen my sister in law for quite a while but it always seems like we just pick up where we left off in an easy sort of way. What is so facinating to me is to see so much humanity in one place, so much diversity. There were 159 (or so) and about 59 different countries being represented. It's like being thrown into the middle of the world, so fascinating I could spend a lot of time trying to analyze it (and I did on the way back).

On the way up I was reading aloud from The Jungle Book... it is so fun to read such exotic words and ideas out loud.

On the way back I was contemplating the universe and sketching the mountains off in the distance, the air today has been so clear and fresh. It feels so good to think that spring is on it's way.

We ate at a restraunt, the kids had fun with their cousins (Sione and Roxie, the other two were at school, they've been to the citizenship ceremony when their dad was sworn in). The place was a buffet, i've never liked buffets that much...

I have been munching on these georgous organic carrots, fresh picked with their tops still on, plus local organic apples... I have had lots of energy and I have felt so good. ;p

Then the highlight of my day really was seeing my daughter pass off her hula dances. Hula is a lot more involved than you might think. I started my daughter in classes a few years ago and at first she hated me for it, and fought it for the longest time. But we kept telling her that it will be important for her to know it, and it will be a good thing that she does have some background in dance when her cousins put together shows... she will know what she's doing. So she has finally embraced it and she's absolutely amazing to me. She works hard at it, this and clogging, which is funny because I took clogging when I was about her age. But it was hard because I had to ride my bike to the studio (my dad's bike which was too big for me), down the stairs of the underground passageway, up the stairs, down four or five blocks, then back again to my school then another 5 blocks home. When it rained or snowed... it just got to be too much. Angie is doing it through her school, there is a professional teacher that vollunteers and she is a good teacher, makes dance fun. It's partly why Angie is embracing hula now...

I love these kinds of days...

2 comments:

Sonja said...

My mom was sworn in as a citizen a few years ago. I too, appreciate the diversity that make up this wonderful country.

Hooray for your daughter and hula! I was so glad to hear that you gave her a nudge and then she embraced it. I think a few of my kids need a little nudge...:)

Sonja said...

Also, thank you for all your kind comments on my blog. You do many amazing things with your children as well! The homeschool groups are where I get a lot of ideas. And good curriculum too. I can't come up with good ideas on my own. :)