Friday, July 31, 2009

Discovering the Classics

At the same time, I have been feeling weak and strong.

Weak from some sort of ailment that has been running me down a bit, due in part to a lack of sleep. R kept me up last night complaining of something in her eye and washing it out did not seem to help.

Strong because the sense of purpose for which I set out, to learn how to write well, goes a long way towards the security that I feel about my purpose in life.

Even though I am a bit tired I feel satisfaction in the development of a craft, it is an enjoyable process.

I am reading a book by Francine Prose (I smile a bit ironically as I read her name, wondering if she has chosen the name as a handle or if it is her given name).

It is called "Reading Like a Writer" she has read widely and gives examples out of many great works. My repertoire of classic books is rather slim as I was a voracious reader of LDS Romances when growing up to the neglect of other novels.

I did however pick up a copy of "Crime and Punishment," in my parents room, when I was 13 years of age or so. The cover of the book was stained, so I carefully manufactured my own cover for it, topped it with plastic and started to read it. I was plunged into the convoluted mind of Dosandtoevsky and found myself depressed by the plot, so I stopped reading it midway through.

Now I am plunging myself in the waters of the classics to see where they will carry me.

As for a job, still working on that as well.

SG

No comments: