Sunday, June 14, 2009

Chorister Position ;D

It was nice to get up to church today, sing hymns of praise, learn the Gospel.

A funny thing happened, and I kind of had a premonition about it, they called me to be a chorister in the Relief Society (Rolls eyes).

The thing about it is, my grandmother was the chorister for the Ward for many, many years and she was good at it...

I was called to be a chorister for the Relief Society before. I did my duty and stood up to lead every week, but I just couldn't get the motions correctly. There were a couple of older ladies in the ward who really knew their stuff, they would sit at the back of the room, tsk. tsking and shaking their heads. It always threw me off!!

I was suspicious about this being my calling, because my friend Sunny called to ask me to substitute for today. So I led the ladies in singing today, and I sort of did a patchy job of it... I was waving my arm, trying to concentrate on getting the down beats at the beginning of the measures and singing a couple of words behind everyone else.

Until I pulled it all together about halfway through the song and decided that no one was paying attention to my arm anyway, so I just decided to sing, which was nice because no one else seemed to know the song so I was singing above everyone else. Needless to say, I was glad when the song was over ;p

So, maybe this is a push to get back into music, which I love. I need to go sing with the choir again (it's been a long time). I also have a CD with a voice coach over at BYU who helps people become aware of what they are doing when they are singing. I've watched part of it before (on the TV) so I ordered the CD, but I haven't gotten around to watching it yet. I have a range... where I sing alright, but outside that range... I don't do so well. ;p

Anyway... singing and leading, this should be interesting, someone pick me up if I fall over while waving my arm around... :D

3 comments:

Sarah Sullivan said...

Funny how we are lead to use gifts!! I wish I could have heard you!! Sarah

Hibiscus Moon said...

That's wonderful! Sing away, girl!

Unknown said...

Yeah! I'm glad you are excited! And your right, no one really watches your arm anyway (or at least very few people do :)