Thursday, April 30, 2009

A Piece From Anne of Green Gables

I've decided to reread Anne of Green Gables (again). One of my favorite parts is near the beginning. Besides for her idea of sleeping in a wild cherry tree, dreaming of marble halls, I love her description of "The Avenue" renamed "The White Way of Delight" by Anne. This is one of the examples of why I love Lucy Maude Montgomery's works...

"The 'Avenue,' so called by the Newbridge people, was a stretch of road four or five hundred yards long, completely arched over with huge, wide-spreading apple-trees, planted years ago by an eccentric old farmer. Overhead was one long canopy of snowy fragrant bloom. Below the boughs the air was full of a purple twilight and far ahead a glimpse of painted sunset sky shone like a great rose window at the end of a cathedral aisle."

"It's beauty seemed to strike the child dumb. She leaned back in the buggy, her thin hands clasped before her, her face lifted rapturously to the white splendor above. Even when they ha passed out and were driving down the long slope to Newbridge she never moved or spoke. Still with rapt face she gazed afar into the sunset west, with eyes that saw visions trooping splendidly across that glowing background."

"She came out of her reverie with a deep sigh and looked at him with the dreamy gaze of a soul that had been wandering afar star-led."

"...It satisfied me here"-She put one hand on her breast-"it made a queer funny ache and yet it was a pleasant ache."


This little piece is really how I feel when I come across something beautiful. I guess you could call it a spiritual appreciation of beauty... there have been sunsets and sunbursts, mountains highlighted in stark relief against the sky, and light filtered down through a multitude of greenery which have all made me feel this way. Plus a few authors as well have made me feel as though I have seen a marvelous work, as though the sun has burst forth over the horizon. Though not many works touch me in that way.

Tomorrow- Friday Shoot outs... I have a couple of original pictures. One of a favorite store (with a whole foods philosophy) and one of my Uncle Mo's (and his girlfriend Callies) Cafe and bar. As for the rest of the pictures, I have a book that has pictures from this area... since I haven't been able to get down town I'm going to scan some of them in (and I'll get original photo's later on). ;p

No comments: