Friday, August 14, 2009

Watching Rugby With the Guys

Yesterday we went up to SLC for "Polynesian Days!!"

It was nice to get up there to support our local Rugby team the Provo Steelers. There were a few teams playing before them so I sat up on the bleachers with a good book and listened to the music that was playing in the background.

Baby Isi (or Tyler, er or Ongo, he has a few more names as well, I can't keep track of them all!) Anyhow, he was climbing about on the bleachers while his auntie Hone watched after him. He is the son of Isileli Sam's cousin, and Kalisi. Kalisi is the one who went up to Denver to try out for American Idol (didn't get past the screening judges though).

It was windy and rainy off and on, the wind liked to blow at us through the fence we were leaning on. Luckily these bleachers had a roof over them.

The Steelers won, 5-3, it was very close there at the end. They play again today and tomorrow.

After the game we (Me, Sam and Tane) went over to "Crazy Jim's Buffet." I don't know about you but just the sound of the place scared me a bit. We went in and paid $40 bucks! (Which I was not happy about)

The guy's piled up their plates 3 or 4 times with fried chicken, curried something or other, Taro root, fried clams and whatever else caught their fancy. I found myself confronted with an interesting dilemma, there wasn't much that wasn't covered in some type of sauce or another or fried in some type of batter (both serious concerns to someone trying to avoid gluten) so I ended up with the option of eating a few pieces of fruit and/or sea food.

I chose both, so I ate some cold (unsalted blech) shrimp, some warm shrimp (that I found later) with carrot slices in it, a few snow crab legs (without butter, it is just not the same), and a whole bunch of squid! Yes I was sitting there chomping on tentacles, I was rather amused at myself. I also had a bit of sushi, sweet potato and taro (covered in coconut milk). This place was eclectic, they even had some Mexican dishes.

For the most part it was filled to the brim with Chinese people, which seem to have a singular manner about them, that of avoiding looking at you, if at all possible. So it was interesting, standing there with an empty plate (waiting to be filled up with squid), listening to the tonal cadences of Chinese voices, and turning this way and that to avoid people who seem to be staring at the ground.

Well, I got full anyway (I think I still ate something off though, must have been the carrots). ;D

Afterwards we drove along in the dark listening to love songs from the 80's, which are interesting in their own right, and also such classics as Chers version of "Do You Believe in Life After Love?" Tane liked making fun of that one. It was mostly me and Tane singing, Sam, well he doesn't like to sing along to stuff (maybe it is because I tease him about it, I tell him he sounds like a dying cow, which he does, but maybe I should be more tactful. Perhaps I sound worse and don't even know it). ;D

Yesterday was definitely interesting, I love random excursions like that.

1 comment:

Mike Smith said...

Sounds like a great day, SG.